Mix by 8Ainey8
Uploaded: 1 month ago | Netherlands
As a songwriter/ top liner, I almost never worry about the final mix, because that's the producer's job, but I decided to challenge myself.
I have only ever tried mixing a big project like this one once before and I then gave up halfway. But... not this time. Five days in the making.
There were several challenges from the start: namely that my DAW is Cubase Elements 9 and has limits on tracks, busses and plugins. So I had to divide this project over 5 main projects that then each split off into 3/4 versions each. Not to mention the mastering attempts. But eventually I am pretty happy.
I don't have access to great studio equipment, so I mixed in my headphones: Samson SR850.
In the end I left out about 1/3 of the tracks given, especially the 'room' tracks: they just didn't work for me. I chose to clean up all the drum noise bleeding manually. The vocals were a struggle, as I just couldn't make those blend well with the track. I did not include the 'melotron' instrument track as I didn't find it fitting to the song.
MEqualizer (free), MCompressor (free), Supercharger (compressor), Temper (distortion), Raum and Ujam Finisher Micro (for reverb/delays) and Cubase stock plugins for stereo widening.
I also got to experiment with a new plugin I got 2 weeks ago, Diablo Lite (distortion), so that was nice.
Finishing touches with Neutron elements and Ozone 9 elements.
I would have loved to have more vocal takes and dubs. Especially the backing vocals felt abit off at times, but because they were already smashed into 1 track, I didn't know how to fix that.
Anyways, Thank you so much for the opportunity. Till next year's challenge!
This song has received 9 votes.Vote for this Mix!